Open Minds “Project Growth: Growing Minds by Growing Gardens “is a collaborative effort with Kansas City Community Gardens. We are part of the Schoolyard Gardens program that allows KCCG to work with schools metro-wide to establish vegetable gardens on school grounds. KCCG staff support school staff and students so that they can have a successful gardens, exposing students to the wonders of growing their own fruits and vegetables. Project Growth will help children learn about nutrition and with the hopes that they will develop healthy eating habits. Gardening will create an environment that will foster deep and meaningful learning in our Creative Curriculum. KCCG staff provides hands-on training as they plant with students, a variety of workshops will be held throughout the year.
Gardening in schools has many benefits
- Develop gardening skills by planting and maintaining food crops in an outdoor garden setting.
- Learn about nutrition and healthy eating habits as they taste and experiment with a variety of vegetables and fruits.
- Increase understanding of plant science and the basic concepts of plant growth through “hands-on” experience.
- Increase environmental awareness by learning how to garden and how people fit into the garden environment.
Kansas City Community Garden’s Partnership with Open Minds Provides
- Site evaluation and selection
- Soil preparation and tilling
- Raised bed garden construction assistance
- Plant selection and developing a planting plan
- Assistance with planting the garden
- The Schoolyard Garden Coordinator is available to answer questions and help with the garden throughout the gardening season.